WELCOME TO JTI
Johns Trailer Company was the precursor to the present JTI, Inc. and was founded in 1935 by John Agoston. The business was located in a 1,600 square foot building on Buckeye Rd. in Cleveland, Ohio. A small building built of repurposed lumber housed a small business that survives today into the fourth generation of family ownership. The design and manufacture of temporary hitches that fastened to the bumper of automobiles, open utility and enclosed cargo trailers were the mainstay of the business. Hitches and trailers were rented from this location as well as a network of dealers established throughout northeast Ohio. As the business grew, hitches and trailer were sold to other trailer rental outfits throughout the central and eastern United States.
The second generation of ownership expanded the business in the early 1960s to include the design and manufacture of hitches and towbars used in the rental car industry. A rental car company could now offer the service of delivering a car to the customerís home or business. A small car was towed behind the rental car with a temporary hitch and towbar. A single driver would deliver the rental car then return to the home office in the towed vehicle to repeat the process. Hitches and towbars were shipped to customers throughout the United States and Canada. The advent of the energy-absorbing bumper found on vehicles today spelled the doom of this industry. The capital from this lucrative business paved the way for the building of the present facility that houses JTI, Inc. in Oakwood Village, Ohio.
JTIís roots remain in the trailer business but less in manufacturing and more in retail sales. Trailer axles are manufactured today however rental, new trailers, used trailer sales, service, trailer components and parts, and towing accessories is the mainstay of JTI. The third generation of ownership expanded the business to include the sales, installation and service of snow and ice management equipment. This is an ever- growing segment of JTIís business.