Trailer Tips

Tighten Those Lug Nuts!

New trailer owners and those who have recently had a hub replaced should check and tighten lug nuts at 25, 50, and 100 miles and then every 100 miles for the first 500 miles.


Metal warms, gives and flexes as a trailer is driven down the road. Especially when they are new, lug nuts can loosen up in the first few hundred miles. Check them as a matter of habit and tighten as needed. Most manufacturers recommend tightening to between 90 and 110 footpounds.

Weight Distribution Systems

Many of our customers opt to use weight distribution systems, because they not only make for a more comfortable driving and hauling experience, they also protect your investment in your trailer (and your tow vehicle).

A weight distribution system consists of a hitch receiver, special ball mount (“hitch head”), spring bar, and snap-up brackets. It shifts the weight of the load you’re hauling slightly from the tongue to the front axle of the tow vehicle and to the trailer’s axle(s).

If you have questions about weight distribution systems, please stop in, contact us here, or call 440.232.4311.

The Basics of Load Distribution

Proper weight distribution improves trailer handling, helps you avoid trailer sway and the possibility of an accident, and also reduces wear on your trailer and tow vehicle.

The basic rule of thumb for loading any trailer is to load the front first, so that 60% of the load weight is forward of the front axle, the remaining 40% behind it.

Ideally, a trailer (loaded or empty) should be level from side to side and also front to back. No matter how long you’ve been hauling, there’s no excuse not to give your trailer a good “eyeball test” after you load and before you drive anywhere.

Tongue Weight Caution

Adhering to the 60/40 rule also helps ensure you’ve got the right tongue weight or hitch weight. When tongue weight is too low, you’ll experience trailer sway – the trailer moving from side to side behind your vehicle, possibly even fishtailing. Too much tongue weight, however, makes your vehicle difficult to steer and can put undue strain on your hitch and vehicle.